Mandatory Child Abuse Training
On July 5, 2012, Governor Tom Corbett signed Act 126 of 2012, which now requires schools and independent contractors to provide certain employees with mandatory training on recognizing and reporting child abuse.
Beginning January 1, 2013, those employees who have direct contact with children must be provided at least three (3) hours of training every five (5) years on the following topics:
- The recognition of the signs of abuse and sexual misconduct.
- The reporting requirements for suspected abuse and sexual misconduct in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Provisions of the Professional Educator Discipline Act, including the mandatory reporting requirements.
- The school’s policies relating to the reporting of suspected abuse and sexual misconduct.
- The maintenance of professional and appropriate relationships with students.
- Any other topics related to child abuse recognition and reporting.